After looking into the various reasons as to why teachers are not taking full advantage of technology in the classroom, I decided to look into the ways tech could be used to support emerging literacy.

I found an article that dove deep into tech being used as a tool with different applications working to serve different purposes. The article related tech tools to the tools used by Handy Manny, a kids show character. I was able to get an idea of a few different tech tools that teachers use in the classroom. The article also provided some actual examples of what kinds lessons students could be involved in to aide in emerging literacy.  I found that there was a multitude of ways that tech tools can add deeper levels of engagement and understanding to literacy.

Articles used:

Hourcade, J. J., Parette Jr, H. P., Boeckmann, N., & Blum, C. (2010). Handy manny and   the emergent literacy technology toolkit. Early Childhood Education   Journal, 37(6), 483-491. doi:10.1007/s10643-010-0377-1

Cviko, A., McKenney, S., & Voogt, J. (2014). Teacher roles in designing technology-rich   learning activities for early literacy: A cross-case analysis. Computers & Education, 72,   68-79. doi:10.1016/j.compedu.2013.10.014